This section is to provide tourists who are planning to explore Sri Lanka by driving a vehicle. According to the Department of Motor Traffic in Sri Lanka, all who drive a vehicle in Sri Lanka must have a valid Sri Lanka driver’s license. That means you can not drive a vehicle in Sri Lanka only with an international driving permit (IDP).
Qualifications for Driving in Sri Lanka
- You must have a valid international driving permit.
- Your international driving permit must be in English language. If not, you must submit an English translation of your IDP.
- You must have an unexpired legal passport.
- You must obtain a valid Temporary Sri Lanka Driver’s License.
How to obtain a Temporary Sri Lanka Driver’s License?
You can obtain your Temporary Sri Lanka Driver’s License by yourself after you arrive in Sri Lanka. For that, you have to visit the head office of the Department of Motor Traffic in Sri Lanka in Battaramulla during weekdays. (office will be closed during weekends) Or else, we can prepare it on behalf of you even before you arrive at the airport. And you can collect it when you collect your rented vehicle. For that, you must submit the following documents to us in advance.
- Copy of your passport.
- Two colour photographs of yourself.
- Copy of your IDP.
- If your IDP is not in English language, you must submit a valid English translation of it.
- English translation of your IDP must be issued by the respective country’s embassy or an authorized agency.
If you forgot to submit the above documents before your arrival, you have nothing to worry about. We are capable enough to provide your Temporary Sri Lanka Driver’s License within 24h of your submission. (Note that if your submission is on weekend, you can only receive your Temporary Sri Lanka Driver’s License on coming Monday evening or Tuesday Morning) If you wish to obtain Sri Lanka Driver’s License from SR Rent A Car, you can contact us through the below form.
We hope this will help you to understand the driver’s license requirement to rent a car in Sri Lanka. If you need any clarifications or have any questions, contact SR Rent A Car (0777 780 729 available in WhatsApp) We are ready to help you with your inquires 24/7 every day.